Monday, February 3, 2014

Monkeys At My Doorstep!! More Pictures


Big Surprise!

I stepped out on the porch to sweep it and noticed things dropping out of the trees about 30 feet away from the house. I have been telling John how much I wanted to see monkeys in our neighborhood. John has been apprehensive about monkeys in our yard, he feels all monkeys steal. I kept trying to convince him Howler monkeys don't steal; which are the type we would have. Stepping off the porch I got a big surprise!! Seven monkeys next to the house up in the trees, howler monkeys! Papa, Mama, baby and 4 others. We got some decent pictures also!





Our builder has put in our driveway and built the living quarters for the workers and set up the water supply from the mountain this week. The workers will be living on site for 5 months according to the builder. They have sleeping areas, kitchen, toilet and outdoor shower. Just waiting for the permits to be in hand and they are ready to go!


This the builders home for the next 5 months

I wanted to take a picture of all we bought at the farmer's market this week but thought you might be too jealous to enjoy seeing it all. Cooking here is pretty enjoyable, at least for now. Hope it remains a joy to have tons of veggies and fruit, fresh ocean fish, fresh chicken and grass fed beef to make meals with. It is so easy to be creative and make very tasty dishes. Yesterday I made a very delicious mango salsa for our ocean fish; amazing meal with delicious broccoli and fresh salad. So far we haven't found a restaurant with a fish dinner that good.



The past 12 years following Weston A Price and Nourishing Traditions has prepared me for cooking here. If you want to eat well in Costa Rica you better know how to cook from scratch, any foods brought in from other countries are expensive. And I am even still cooking for dogs! I make broth and meat scraps for Concinaero, a very nice black/white dog that lives nearby. Each day he comes by for a meal, just like “Tramp” in Lady and the Tramp.

John planting a banana tree on our property

 I have lots of dogs visit us but this one is my favorite.  Aldemar let me name her, I chose Lilly.
 
Loved the jungle the first time, had to go further on another.  This is in Serenity, in our little village.
 


Love, Diane


1 comment:

  1. Wow, thank you for sharing all this with us. I just now got caught up on all your blog posts. I didn't know that you two are the first Serenity inhabitants. Must seem kind of strange. After your house, will others be going up soon?

    It does sound like a lot more work not having all your stuff and I hope you get the items in your container soon. Sounds like your life will be much easier then.

    The farmers market sounds amazing. All that fresh non GMO food... Yum! Also enjoyed the cow photos too. That is crazy that they charge so little there for milk. How were the prices at the farmers market? I imagine very good too. It sounds like once you had your place payed for you could live pretty well on retirement there.

    Have you been doing 4 clothing changes every day there? That reminds of me of when I vacationed in Colorado last fall. I changed at least 3X per day. I couldn't even go anywhere unless I had clothes for all occasions in the car. It must be a mountain thing. Good to hear from you. You and John take care. And yes, we have been hammered by snow this year. The last count I saw was 67 inches so far. It's really depressing to me. Can't wait for it to be warm here!

    ReplyDelete